What it means to sponsor an apprentice
When you hire on an apprentice you are committing to train and develop them into a tradesperson. In return, the apprentice will be completing projects, tasks and jobs that are critical to the success of your business.
As the sponsor, you will be responsible for:
- Training the apprentice under the supervision of a certified tradesperson or an employee with Sign-Off Authority
- Registering the apprentice and your organization
- Tracking and reporting the apprentice’s work based training hours
- Allowing the apprentice time off to attend school, typically 8 weeks
- Evaluating and recommending the apprentice for certification
About 80% of an apprenticeship is completed on the job under the guidance and supervision of a certified tradesperson. Apprentices may be shared among other certified tradespeople at different worksites in order to meet the full scope of the trade’s training requirements.