Challenge Certification

If you have significant work experience in a trade but have never been certified in Canada, you may apply to challenge the certification.


If you sponsor apprentices but have never been certified in Canada, you may request to supervise and sign-off apprentices when they are ready to be certified.


If you have extensive experience working in a trade but have never been certified in Canada, you can apply to challenge certification in your trade.

Being approved to challenge means that individuals who meet the criteria for a trade will not be required to go through the full program.  Instead, they will be allowed to become certified by writing and passing the final exam(s).

The requirements to challenge are different for each trade and in each province and territory.

Each trade requires a minimum number of hours of related work experience plus documentation that you have worked in the full scope of the trade.  After you apply to challenge, a Provincial apprenticeship authority will review your work history, talk to your employers and determine if you have the necessary experience to challenge the certification.

Here is the process for challenging a certification or level exam:


Recognized trade credentials in designated trades and occupations are issued by recognized regulatory authorities. A recognized regulatory authority can be another province or territory, the Department of National Defence – Canada (DND), or a credential-issuing authority from outside the country. Recognized credentials allow professionals to work in Alberta in designated trades or occupations without further training or examination.

Alberta trade and occupation certificates and most other credentials recognized in Alberta are listed in the summary of recognized credentials. If you are unable to determine whether or not a credential is recognized, contact your local Apprenticeship and Industry Training office.

Employers who have questions about the authenticity of a credential should contact the jurisdiction that issued the credential. For additional information see Tips For Employers.

Employers may also download the Military Trades Information Sheet for tips on hiring those with a DND trade credential.


Certification Based on Other Credentials

You may be eligible for an Occupational Certificate if you have a:

To apply:


Certification Based on Skills and Work Experience

If you do not have formal training but are able to prove your skills and work experience meet the standards set for the occupation in Alberta, you may apply for an occupational certification based on work experience.

To apply:


Equivalency Program

If you hold a valid recognized credential that does not have an Interprovincial Standards Red Seal endorsement you are eligible to apply for an Equivalency Card.

A person who holds a valid recognized credential does not require an Equivalency Card to work in Alberta. However, some employers may require Alberta documentation as proof that the credential holder is allowed to work in the trade, and that the holder’s credential is recognized.

To obtain an Equivalency Card, a person must:

  • Complete the Equivalency Program Online Application and submit your completed application.
  • An Alberta Student Number (ASN) is required to apply for programs and services. To find or obtain an ASN, visit this website for more information.
  • Provide a clear picture or scanned copy of your trade credential.  DND applicants must provide a current copy of their Member’s Personnel Record Resume (MPRR). It will be verified.
  • pay the $60.00 non-refundable application fee as part of the application process

Contact your nearest Apprenticeship and Industry Training office with any questions you may have.

Alberta Temporary Foreign Worker Program

Challenging exams

Instructions on:

How to Apply

Application Form (Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)

Employer Declaration (Document of relevant work experience)

Statutory Declaration (Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted)

Apply to Challenge the Certification Exam If you are a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, a landed immigrant or have work experience from a country outside Canada, and currently reside in Manitoba you may be eligible to apply to challenge the Certificate of Qualification.

Eligibility Requirements

There are three main requirements to become eligible to challenge your certification exam

  • Demonstrated minimum number of years working in the trade: 4.5 years
  • Demonstrated minimum number of hours working in the trade: 7200 hours
  • Demonstrated experience in at least 70% scope of the trade

See RV Service Technician profile

Note: If you do not meet the eligibility requirements for your trade, but have some work experience, you still have options through apprenticeship training. Your previous work experience can be assessed through discussions with your employer and the Apprenticeship Training Coordinator assigned to your trade. This assessment may reduce the overall length of your apprenticeship program. Trades Qualifiers – Approved to Challenge

Pre-Arrival Information for:

Internationally Experienced Tradespersons

Former Canadian Military Personnel

Required Experience

7200 on-the-job hours are required to be able to challenge the Certificate of Qualification Examination. Refer to the Designated Occupations and Hourly Requirements Board Order for a list of these requirements.

 Credential Recognition

The Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification branch will assess certificates or licenses that are granted by a regulatory authority if they are in a trade or occupation that is similar in scope to any of the designated occupations in New Brunswick. The Director has the discretion to approve applicants to challenge the certification examination or to recognize the certificate or license based on equivalent standards.

Recreation Vehicle Service Technician profile

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) Within Canada

Foreign Credentials

Temporary Foreign Workers  


British Columbia/New Brunswick Memorandum of Understanding

Are you a New Brunswick apprentice experiencing difficulty obtaining on-the-job hours in New Brunswick? If you are interested in opportunities in British Columbia, please visit to access the British Columbia Apprentice Job Match and other trades‑related links and resources suited to Job Seekers, Apprentices and Employers. The British Columbia Apprentice Job Match service provides a new way to connect apprentices and employers a way to connect online. Jobseekers can identify themselves as an apprentice, and search to find apprentice jobs and receive job alerts. BC employers can add apprentice training and experience information into their job posting to support them in finding qualified apprentices. For more details, please contact your local Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification Regional Office.  

Out-of-Province Apprentice Strategy

If you have work opportunities in another Canadian jurisdiction, your working hours accumulated with an out-of-province employer may be credited towards the completion of your NB apprenticeship, providing you meet the eligibility requirements. For more details, please contact your local Apprenticeship and Occupational Certification Regional Office.

A Trade Qualifier is a person who meets the jurisdictional requirements to write the certification examination. Requirements include:

  • on-the-job work experience of at least one year in excess of an apprenticeship term for a designated trade; and
  • documentation of work skills that have been verified by a certified journeyperson in the trade. Documentation must also include verification of time and hours.


If employer verification of hours worked and/or journeyperson verification of skills is not possible, the Trade Qualifier may complete a Supporting Affidavit. If a Supporting Affidavit is the method used for verification of hours and/or skills, a Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) may be requested by the Industrial Training section to be conducted at a recognized training institution.

The completed application form and required documents must be returned to the Industrial Training Division where a review of the application is conducted and the applicant is notified of decision for approval or rejection.

If approval is warranted, a date is established for the candidate to challenge the practical exam (if required) and the theory examination.

If successful in the certification examination, a Certificate of Qualification is issued to the Trade Qualifier.

If unsuccessful, an assessment of the examination may be conducted to determine areas where further study or experience is needed. The Trade Qualifier may apply to re-write the examination or may register to attend in-school training to better prepare for further examination.

For further information on Registration of Trade Qualifiers, please refer to Provincial Apprenticeship and Certification Board Policy 16, or contact the nearest Industrial Training office.


Recognition of Prior Learning

Recognizing Prior Learning (RPL) is the process of receiving credit for learning acquired through previous experiences or other formal training. Sources of learning include any learning experience not associated with formal study and any courses taken at an institution that are not recognized through a credit transfer arrangement/agreement. Through RPL apprentices can identify, organize, and describe the things they know and can do, with the goal of receiving credit in an apprenticeship program.

If you have no recent work experience in the trade of your choice, you should contact one of the colleges which offer training in that trade to enroll in an entry-level program. At that time, the college can advise you of their specific RPL practices.

If you have recent work experience, or are currently employed in the trade, you should contact a regional Apprenticeship office and discuss your options with a Program Development Officer.

The following documents are available to help you determine if RPL could be an option for you and to guide you through the RPL process:

RPL Information Sheet

Applicants’ Guide for Apprentices

Applicants’ Guide for Trade Qualifiers

Application for Assessment (PL-110)

Sample Completed Application Package (PL-110)

Procedure 7 – The Recognition of Prior Learning  

Out of Province Apprenticeship Policy (NL-Alberta)

This policy is an agreement between the provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) and Alberta that permits apprentices from NL to accumulate work experience in Alberta.   You may apply for apprenticeship in NL under this policy if you:

  • Successfully completed all entry-level courses at a NL post-secondary educational agency in the relevant occupation
  • File income tax returns in NL
  • Maintain permanent residency in NL

Certificate of Qualification Holder

If you have a Certificate of Qualification from Nova Scotia or another jurisdiction in Canada without the Red Seal, you can apply for a Nova Scotia Equivalency Card using the form below. This is required if you wish to work in Nova Scotia in a compulsory certified trade, including Blaster. It is also required for Red Seal Construction Electricians who wish to obtain an electrical wiring permit (the card will not bear the Red Seal).

SUBMIT ONLINE: Complete and submit the form online. Payment requires a valid debit or credit card – VISA, MasterCard or American Express.

SUBMIT VIA MAIL: Electronically-fill the form, then print and submit via mail or walk-in. Payments are accepted at all offices, and include debit/credit; certified/business cheques; or money orders made payable to the “Minister of Finance”. NOT accepted: American Express, cash and personal cheques.


Individuals with Significant Work Experience | Trade Qualifiers

Section 30 of the General Regulations of the Apprenticeship and Trades Qualifications Act makes provision for persons other than registered apprentices to be examined for certification. If you have significant experience working hands-on in a trade and can prove that your skills and work experience meet the standards set for a certified skilled tradesperson in Nova Scotia, you may be able to apply under the Trade Qualification Program for approval to write the certification examination. To qualify to write the certification exam you must:

To qualify to write the certification exam you must:

Read the Guidelines and Process document 

Schedule an interview with an Industry Training Consultant with the Nova Scotia Apprenticeship Agency

  • Provide documented evidence of your work experience in the trade
  • Provide documented evidence of support from two qualified references who are able to attest to your competence in the trade
  • Complete application form w/ non-refundable fee ($CAD):  SUBMIT ONLINE OR SUBMIT VIA MAIL

The Trade Equivalency Assessment (TEA) process assesses your skills based on one of the over 150 Ontario apprenticeship programs. If you meet all the training requirements of that apprenticeship, you will qualify to apply for certification in your trade.


Red Seal and Reciprocal Certificates

If you hold an authorizing certificate or a Red Seal in your trade from another province or territory in Canada (i.e. out-of-province Certificate of Qualification), then before you can apply for membership in the Journeyperson Class you must complete a TEA form for validation. Once the College receives your form and verification fee of $25 (+HST) (non-refundable) then we will verify with the issuing authority (province or territory) to determine if your Certificate of Qualification is in good standing and equivalent to the trade you are applying for in Ontario. (Original documents will not be returned)

Step 1

Complete the Trade Equivalency Assessment and Membership Application.

Step 2

Include a copy of your current Certificate(s) of Qualification and the $25 (+HST) (non-refundable) verification fee.

Step 3

Mail, courier, drop off, or email your package to the College.

Step 4

The College will verify with the issuing authority province or territory that your certification is in good standing.

Step 5

The College will contact you regarding your application and membership.


Department of National Defence QL5 License Holder

If you are a Department of National Defence member with a rating of a QL5 plus a corporal rank, you may use the TEA application to determine your trade’s equivalency to the civilian trades in Ontario. The equivalency is to a Certificate of Apprenticeship. To become a member of the journey person class you must pass the Certificate of Qualification exam.

Step 1

Determine if your Department of National Defence trade is one of the nine listed in the chart below. If your trade is not listed below you may apply through the TEA process for experienced workers in any trade.

Military Trade Red Seal Trade Military
Marine Engineering Technician Industrial Mechanic (Millwright) Machinist (for Naval Machinists)
Electrical Technician (formerly Marine Technician) Industrial Electrician
Vehicle Technician Automotive Service Technician Heavy Duty Equipment Technician Truck and Transport Mechanic
Material Technician Welder
Refrigeration and Mechanical Technician Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
Electrical Distribution Technician Construction Electrician
Plumbing and Heating Technician Plumber Oil Burner Mechanic
Construction Technician Carpenter
Cook Cook

Step 2

Complete the Trade Equivalency Assessment and Membership Application.

Step 3

Include a copy of your Members’ Personnel Records Resume and the $25+HST (non-refundable) verification fee.  

Step 4

Mail, courier, drop off, or email your package to the College.  

Step 5

The College will contact you regarding your membership and the Certificate of Qualification exam process. .


Experienced Workers from Within and Outside of Ontario

If you are an experienced worker whose skills, knowledge and experience are equivalent to a Certificate of Apprenticeship in Ontario you have the option of applying for equivalency. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide all required supporting documents in English or French. These may include detailed letters from past or present employers and training credentials. The College will contact you upon receipt of your assessment package.

For detailed information about the application process, please consult the Member Application Guide for Applicants who are not Apprentices.  

Step 1

Complete the Trade Equivalency Assessment and Membership Application  

Step 2

Include original employee letters and copies of all credentials that support your application, incomplete applications will be returned to you.

The Training Standard for your trade can be a useful tool in determining the scope of your experience compared to the scope of the apprenticeship program.  

Recreation Vehicle Technician

Apprenticeship Training Standard

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Competency Ananlysis Profile (CAP Chart)  

Step 3

Mail, courier, drop off, or email your package to the College.  

Step 4

The College will assess your TEA package for equivalency.  

Step 5

The College will contact you regarding the assessment of your Tea package. If the College must verify work experience or credentials (all credentials must be translated to English or French) that requires the services of a translator for a language other than English or French, an additional fee of $100 will apply. You will be notified if this will be a requirement during the assessment.  


  • Trade Equivalency Assessment and Membership Application (for TEA applicants ONLY)
  • Any certification related to the trade for which you are applying
  • Letters from employers detailing job descriptions and total numbers of hours worked
  • Fee of $200+HST ($226)


Original documents will not be returned to you. Optional:

  • Training Standards or Competency Analysis Profiles
  • Courses or educational records
  • Letters from customers or other journeypersons

Trades Qualification Program

The Trades Qualification Program may provide Yukon journeyperson certification to people who:

  • have certification from elsewhere in Canada
  • have certification from another country, or
  • have gained the required trade experience but not have been able to take a formal apprenticeship program

To apply, submit:

If you would like to get a Certificate of Qualification in a designated trade on PEI, you must do one of the following:

  • Successfully complete an apprenticeship program;
  • Successfully challenge the certification exam based on experience in the trade; or
  • Use your certification from another Canadian province or territory to apply for a PEI certificate, providing this trade is available for certification on PEI.

If you have written and passed an interprovincial exam for your trade on PEI, you will also get the Red Seal Endorsement attached to your Certificate of Qualification.

To get approval to challenge the exam, you must submit the Application to Challenge the Recreational Vehicle Service Technician Interprovincial Exam.


Charlottetown Apprenticeship Office
Atlantic Technology Centre
Suite 212, 176 Great George Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4460
Fax: (902) 368-6144

Summerside Apprenticeship Office
Access PEI Summerside
120 Heather Moyse Drive
PO Box 2063
Summerside, PE   C1N 5L2
Telephone: (902) 888-8034
Fax: (902) 438-4096

In most cases, to obtain a certificate of qualification from Emploi-Québec, you need to have experience and qualifications that meet the examination enrolment conditions. However, under certain administrative agreements aimed at facilitating labour mobility, the normal qualification procedure is not always compulsory. To find out whether your trade is covered by one of these agreements, see the List of trades.

  • An agreement between Québec and France facilitates labour mobility by means of mutual recognition of training, permits and certificates of qualification. Subject to certain conditions, you may be able to practice your profession or trade in both Québec and France. See the France-Québec agreement
  • An agreement between Québec and Ontario allows people to practise certain trades in both provinces without having to repeat the qualification procedure, subject to certain conditions.See the Ontario-Québec agreement
  • By virtue of the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT), persons who hold a certificate of qualification from a Canadian province may be entitled to work in another province without having to repeat the qualification procedure. In addition, certificates of qualification marked “Red Seal” are generally recognized by the other provinces and territories.See the Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT) page or the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program