Parts/Service Management Programs
For information on RV apprenticeship programs, please go to Become an apprentice.
For information on programs for RV service technicians, please go to Technician programs.
Professional Service Advisor (SAIT Polytechnic)
Parts Technician Apprenticeship (SAIT Polytechnic)
Professional Service Advisor Certificate Course
This course is offered by the School of Transportation at SAIT Polytechnic in Calgary, AB. Develop the skills to professionally interact with customers and technicians in the Recreation Vehicle industry. Learn how to manage daily transactions with service customers, build strong relations and develop high Customer Service Index (CSI) and repeat business through professional advising.
Action-based learning includes:
- Managing work orders
- Selling vehicle maintenance
- Communicating with customers, technicians, parts staff and management
- Service follow-up
- Addressing customer concerns
- Understanding gross profit and upsell
For more information, contact Centre for Continuing Education and Professional Studies
This apprenticeship program is offered by SAIT Polytechnic. Parts Technicians manage and disperse parts inventories, which may include automotive, heavy duty, agricultural, industrial, recreational vehicle, after-market, plumbing, electrical, etc. As a Parts Technician, you could find yourself responsible for stock handling, warehousing, identifying and cataloguing parts and assemblies as well as ordering, receiving, inspecting, sorting, pricing and selling. Experienced Parts Technicians may advance to management positions or outside sales roles.
The Parts Technician program is a three year Red Seal apprenticeship program.
The Mike Molino RV Learning Center (RVLC) is an affiliation of the Recreation Vehicle Dealers Association of America. RVLC offers technical publications, certification programs, online learning, and workshops, all designed exclusively for dealership staff. The professional development and educational resources offered by the Learning Center help dealers maintain professionalism and efficiency even as markets change.
Service Writer/Advisor Online Course
Top performing service and parts departments create confident and loyal customers. The Mike Molino RV Learning Center is here to help you build a team of top performers. The new Service Writer/Advisor Online course offers the best and brightest ideas from RV industry service experts with instruction on:
• Improving customer satisfaction and community relations
• Organizing and managing appointments and workflow
• Generating additional services and revenue
• Coordinating with technicians and other departments
• Administrating and operating effectively
• Building trust and rapport
This course will help new service writers/advisors get the principle-based professional foundation they need to be successful. While those with more experience will benefit from being reminded of core principles needed to create confident and loyal customers. Nine modules covering 43 key competency areas will prepare your front-line people with the knowledge required to meet and exceed customer and dealership expectations on a day-to-day basis. Course materials are structured around the comprehensive RV service writer/advisor job and task analysis developed by The Ohio State University’s Center on Education and Training for Employment, in conjunction with RV industry subject matter experts organized by the RV Learning Center. Download course outline
Fully interactive and easy to navigate, it offers audio voice-over and numerous progress checks. Multiple sections on customer service reinforce and drive-home one of the top skill sets required of top performing fixed operations personnel. The course concludes with a timed, comprehensive final assessment. The course takes about 5 hours to complete. Certified service writers/advisors and parts specialists will earn 5 continuing credit hours toward recertification. Learners have until December 31 to complete the course and print a certificate of completion. No course transfers.
Register for the Service Writer/Advisor Online Course
There are 5 certification tests available for parts and service personnel. The credentials are designed to recognize individuals employed in the RV industry that demonstrate a thorough knowledge of their jobs and a commitment to professionalism. The Learning Center partnered with The Ohio State University’s Center for Education and Training for Employment to develop Certifications, Competency Profiles, and instructional materials in the following areas:
Parts Specialist, Service Writer/Advisor, and Warranty Administrator certifications are appropriate for individuals currently employed in the industry with at least one year of service, parts, warranty department, or related industry experience.
Management-level parts and service personnel with at least two years work experience in RV service, parts, or related industry, and possess the necessary supervisory and budget planning knowledge, are eligible for the Parts Manager and Service Manager certifications.
- Service and Parts Manager Certification test fee: US$249
- Parts Specialist, Service Writer/Advisor, and Warranty Administrator certifications test fee: US$199
- Readiness test fee: US$25. This fee is deducted from the certification test fee if the certification test is taken within 6 months.
How to Prepare for Certification
Certification includes a rigorous testing process ensuring dealers that certified staff are knowledgeable in their field according to industry standards, and displayed in each position’s Competency Profile. Review the Certification FAQ regarding the application and testing process as well as test results.
Resources to prepare working professionals for certification:
- Complement existing in-house training programs. RV industry trainers will often use the Guides as supporting materials. Guide books are not included in test fee and are available in CD-ROM or print formats.
- All orders for Canada are processed by RVDA of Canada
Online Readiness Tests or pre-assessments help individuals assess their job knowledge and preparedness for certification.
- Level 1 Training – covers propane, electricity, plumbing, and PDI. This matches the level 1 content produced by the RV Technical Institute. This is a foundational course and is a prerequisite to Level 2 Training.
- Level 2 Training – covers water heaters, furnaces, ranges/cooktops, refrigerators, air conditioners, generators, brakes, suspension, towing, hydraulics, and RV body. This matches the level 2 content produced by the RV Technical Institute.
- Advanced-Manufacturer Specific Classes
- Service Advisor
- General Managers
- RV Receptionist Class
Subscription to the online program includes unlimited access by dealership staff to over 50, hour-long training video recordings, reviews, and test preparation sections. The content is available online and can be accessed anywhere, anytime. For more information on the courses and to sign-up, click here.
The DLN program was developed in partnership with the University of South Florida and Florida Gateway College (formerly Lake City Community College) and is managed by a professional staff of educators and industry trainers.
The only requirement to participate is a high-speed internet connection. A video cable connected to a television is also useful for group training. A one-year subscription to the program costs US$995 per dealership location. A discount is given for multiple dealerships (5 or more). The subscription term is August 1, 2020 – July 31, 2021. Please note that the current DLN program will remain intact for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year, ending July 31, 2021.
RV Industry Training Calendar offers information about classroom and online training programs available throughout North America in all categories of training including: Dealer/GM, Sales, Service, RV service technician, Parts, F&I, Rental.
Manufacturer, supplier, distributor, and professional RV industry trainers help certification candidates build on their base of on-the-job experience with formal, structured training.
Spader Business Solution works with niche markets such as farm equipment, lighting showrooms, marine, motorcoach, office furniture, powersports, RV and trailer industries. Their knowledge of best business practices can be applied to a number of industries.
Current workshop information is available on Spader Business Solutions’ website.
- Service Management Workshop is intended for Service Managers, Service Writers, General Managers and Owners
- Service Writing Workshop is intended for Service Managers, Shop Foreman, Service Writers, General Managers and Owners
- Total Management 1 Workshop is intended for Business Owner or General Manager, Controller or Bookkeeper, Department managers and key employees
- Total Management 2 Workshop is intended for Business Owner, President/CEO, General Manager, executives, Department directors and managers, Human Resources Manager.
- Parts & Accessories Management Workshop is intended for Parts and Accessories Managers, key parts and accessories employees and Owner and General Manager.
- Hiring & Developing Winners Workshop is intended for Business Owner, General Manager, Department managers and anyone responsible for hiring and training new employees.
A World of Training offers training in variable and fixed operations in numerous formats and settings.
Current workshop information is available on A World of Training’s website.
Complete Service Advisor sales training
Complete Parts Counter sales training
Specializing in the RV industry, Marzahn and King Consulting delivers professional training in all areas of dealership operations.