Ontario Recreation Vehicle Dealers Association RV Propane Certification
Mandatory Propane Certification for Ontario
Certification by Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) is mandatory in Ontario for anyone who works with a hydrocarbon (fuel oil, gasoline, natural gas and propane).
RV2 Certification (entry-level)
The RV2 certificate holder is permitted to perform the following functions on a mobile home, recreational vehicle or trailer under the general supervision of an RV1 certificate holder:
- Re-light appliances that have been operating in a satisfactory and safe condition
- Clean/lubricate appliances
- Remove and re-connect propane appliances
- Conduct a leak test of the propane system and appliances
- Exchange cylinders and replace O rings on the POL fitting
No one is permitted to work/handle propane, propane containers, piping/tubing, propane appliances or components unless they are certified.
Under the direct supervision of an RV1 certificate holder, the RV2 certificate holder may perform all of the functions that fall within the scope of an RV1 certified personnel. The prospective student can observe an RV1 certificate holder perform specific tasks. The student is not permitted to perform the actual tasks until he/she becomes a certificate holder.
Course Prerequisite – RV2 certificate with a minimum of 6 months experience working under the direct supervision of an RV1 certificate holder.
The RV1 Certificate is an advanced designation that allows you to install, alter, purge, activate, repair, service or remove:
- Any propane consuming non-vented, direct vent or power vent appliances installed in a Recreational Vehicle, Mobile Home or Trailer
- Cylinders, regulators, hose and tubing to supply the appliances
It does not allow you to install, alter, purge, activate, repair, service or remove:
- Any natural gas appliance. You may convert appliances from natural gas to propane provided they are approved for it.
- Any natural draft appliance regardless of where it is installed.
- Any underground tubing.
- Any propane storage tank that is not part of the vehicle.
How to register for Propane Training
The next RV2 & RV1 courses will be held Fall/Winter of 2020/2021. To be added to the student waitlist or to receive a registration form, call the Ontario RVDA office at 905-659-8800.
For RV1 course registrants, a work experience memo on company letterhead must accompany the completed registration form and payment.
The TSSA requires student registration 20 business days prior to the course date.
An information package will be emailed to you and your dealer contact once registration and full payment* are received at the Ontario RVDA office.
*There is no refund for cancelled registrations.
Atlantic Propane Certification
Atlantic Propane Certification (currently only recognized in Nova Scotia and PEI)
- Properties of propane
- Propane glossary
- Canadian Standards Association Code Requirements B149
- Canadian Standards Association Code Requirements Z240
- Provincial gas code requirements
- Propane piping systems
- Gas control systems
- Principles of combustion
- Flame characteristics
- Wiring schematics
- Operation and troubleshooting
- Cylinders and tanks
- BC gas safety branch unit re-certification